Thursday, February 4, 2010

Dear Everyone,  Well, another week has gone by and as of 4 days ago I've been out for 4 months!  Wow, the  time flies by so fast.  I can't believe all the experiences I've had in such a short  space of time.  Sure, I think about all of you sometimes, but already it seems to me as  if this is the only kind of life there is to live.    Everyone sounds like they're doing great and had a fun time up at the cabin.  I can't  believe how many changes are happening there in the ward.  I got a lot of cards from  families in the ward and it was great being able to hear from all of them.  Brother and  Sister Squires sent me a package the other day with some carmel popcorn in it.  I had  already sent them a thank you letter for the card they had sent me so instead of sending  another letter, please just let them know that I got it and I appreciated it a lot.  Surprisingly, the weather here has turned pretty cold.  We had a couple days where some  snow fell, but it didn't ever stick.  The members here had also let us know how cold it's  going to be getting this week.  Everything seems a lot colder when you're out knocking  doors all afternoon.  I've been managing to keep warm enough, but slacks don't keep the  cold out too well.  I'm not looking forward to rest of this week when it gets down into  the low teens.  (I guess I'll just have to run from door to door to keep warm.)  The work is going really well.  We're finding great new investigators to teach, both  spanish and english.  The hard thing is hanging onto them enough to keep teaching them.   Everyone should just plan out their whole day like we missionaries do and life would be a  whole lot easier.  We had an appointment with Allen for tonight and he called and had to  cancel again because of his work schedule changes.  If we could just teach him, I know  that he'd get baptized.  We keep praying though and I know things will work out in the  end.  This last week we got to help two different families with service projects.  The one was  a part member family that lives out in the boonies and have been working on an addition  to their house.  The husband is not a member, but the four of us Elders got up there  together and laid the tiles on the roof for the addition with him.  (He's a carpenter and  so he built the whole house by himself.  It looks great.)  (And yes Mom, I was EXTREMELY  careful.)  It was a great experience and I had fun learning how to put a roof on a house.   The man was very grateful to us and hopefully he'll be open to hearing the lessons one  of these days.  Then, our other service project that we did yesterday was for one of the  members.  Bob Taylor, the elderly man who gave me all the geneology information, asked us  if we could come take a tree out of his backyard for him.  It had fallen over a couple  months before and so we chopped it all up and trucked the wood away to one of the other  members houses.  Then, we came back and he decided he wanted to take a couple more trees  out of his backyard.  So, I climbed up one of the little ones and tied a rope around the  top and we started hacking at it with the axe.  That one came down fine.  Then, we went  after the other tree he wanted gone.  It was covered in vines all the way up the tree and  was a good 25-30 feet tall.  But, we didn't want the tree to hit the power lines on the  way down so we decided to take a little of it's height off...(This is the part where I  know Bryce would be proud of me.)  I climbed up the tree with a bow saw, went up to the  top, and started sawing off limbs!  (I'm sorry Mom, but it had to be done.  Anyway, I'm  obviously still alive and so there's no need to worry.)  :)  All the branches came off  fine that we needed to get and Elder Wilson tossed me up a rope that he had lassoed and I  put it around the top of the tree.  Then we started chopping at it again and we pulled  the tree down with the rope without taking out any of the power lines in the yard.  We  sawed up the trees and stacked them in his backyard.  Anyway, we were pretty proud of  ourselves and decided we would call ourselves the lumberjack missionaries from then on.   Elder Wilson took a couple pictures of me up in the tree that I'm planning on sending  home.  Maybe I'll send it for Mother's Day. :)  Well, those are my stories for the week.  I promise that I had some amazing spiritual  experiences as well, (not just death defying ones) but I'm all out of time so I'll have  to tell you about them another day.  Before I close though, I'd like to share a scripture  with you that's meant a lot to me since I got out here.  I've got it memorized in  Spanish, not English so I don't know if I'll be able to get it word for word, but here  goes:    I know that I am nothing.  As to my strength I am weak.  Wherefore, I will not boast of  myself, but I will glory in my God.  For with his strength, I can do all things.  For  behold, we have worked many mighty miracles in this land for the which we shall praise  his name forever. -Alma 26:12  I know this to be true with all my heart.  This scripture gives me strength whenever  things get hard.  It may not always be in the way we expect or when we want, but God  truly does work miracles through us every day.  I've seen the miracles and blessings  spring up around me and change me and the people we teach.  He lives and He loves each of  us. For the which, I will praise his name forever.  I love you and I pray for you every day.  Thank you for all you that have taught me  throughout my life and preparing me to come out and serve.  Tu hermano y hijo para siempre en Cristo, Elder Bradley Bishop

No comments: